Monster Beverage, maker of Monster Energy drinks, is in hot water following a lawsuit filed by the parents of a 14-year-old Maryland girl, who died after drinking two large cans within 24 hours. According to records sought and released by the mother of the girl, who died in December 2011, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration is aware of five other deaths and one non-fatal heart attack over the past three years associated with the highly caffeinated beverage. The FDA has said it is investigating the claims.
An autopsy showed that the girl, who had an inherited disorder that weakens blood vessels, died after her heart stopped due to caffeine toxicity. One 24-ounce can of Monster Energy contains 240 milligrams of caffeine, which is equal to seven times the caffeine in a 12-ounce cola.
The parents of the girl have filed suit against Monster Beverage, saying the company failed to warn consumers about the risks of drinking Monster Energy. The company, which advertises its popular beverage as a “killer energy brew,” says it is unaware of any deaths caused by its product, which includes a label advising children and those sensitive to caffeine against drinking it.